Print Consultant Services
If you have a print question, I have a print answer.
As a print consultant, I help artists and publishers take their work from screen to page. I'm a liaison between printer and artist, advocating for you in the rare case that any problems come in in shipping or printing, and negotiate best pricing and quality for you and your project. Books I've printed have gone on to win multiple awards, including "best self-published" and "best in show"!
My specialties include limited print runs, comics, artbooks, and small press works, and I'm available to help with a wide variety of projects, including prose collections, postcard books, enamel pins, and merchandising (lanyards, charms, t-shirts, playing cards etc.). I'm proud to say that many of the books I've worked on are award-winning projects, and I'm here to help your books reach that level. My consulting rate is $50 per hour.
I can be reached either via email rhi.rose at gmail.com or via the contact form in the header bar.
List Of Services
- finding the right printer for your project and budget.
- negotiating with printers, and handling bids and quote comparisons.
- figuring out the proper specifications for your work.
- formatting for both print and web.
- guiding design for maximum effect in print.
- adding special effects, special finishes, or custom touches to your project within your budget.
- making sure that your project is completed with the professional care, speed, and quality it deserves.
- preflight, prepress and production work.
Rates begin at the basic consultancy fee of $50 an hour. Yes, you can shoot me questions that I can answer in an hour, no problem!
There is a $1200 minimum for full-color books and a $900 minimum for black-and-white books. Larger projects such as poster collections or card decks being funded via Kickstarter follow the same rates as books. This minimum includes a meeting, either over Skype, Google Plus, or email, where will I discuss the size and specifications of your project, recommend printers to work with, and help you figure out what steps to take towards the most professional and polished printing project you can produce. This minimum does NOT include prepress and production work on the pages themselves, which will be billed hourly separately.
All large projects begin with a print consultation. We will discuss your project’s needs, work up a template of quotes, and compare pricing between printers. If you’re new to printing, I will be sure to walk you through the whole process, help you navigate printer lingo, and make sure you understand all the steps it’ll take to get your work on paper. I'm also very familiar with Kickstarter and can help you balance your printing budget with your needed crowdfunding goal.
I will then send out the specifications for your project to multiple printers, collate the pricing, and help you choose which printer to use. In case of any trouble with the printer or print run, I'll be there to support you and negotiate through problems you may not have the time, energy, or knowledge to navigate.
I have saved Kickstarters thousands of dollars by handling their print buying, and many of the books I've worked on have been award-winners!
I also offer production work, preflighting, file reformatting, and further in-depth consultation on larger projects. For these additional services I charge an hourly rate. although in the past I have negotiated a flat fee depending on the scale of the project, specifically because I know many small projects are on a tight budget and I would especially like to help small presses and solo creators.
Past Projects include:
- Mare Internum by Der-Shing Helmer
- ELEMENTS: Fire, 2017 Ignatz Award Winner (Outstanding Anthology), 2018 IPPY Silver Medalist (Graphic Novel) & 2018 Eisner nominated!
- Beyond Anthology V.1 & V.2 Beyond Press. Volume 1 is a 2015 Tiptree Award Honor List & 2016 Lambda Award Winner (LGBT Anthology- Fiction)
- The Meek V.1, by Der-Shing Helmer, 2017 Ignatz Award Winner (Outstanding Online Comic)
- The Last Halloween V.1, by Abby Howard
- Shadoweyes by Sophie Campbell, Iron Circus Comics
- O Human Star V.1 & V.2, by Blue Delliquanti, 2016 DINKy Award winner (Best Self-Published & Best In Show)
- Knights-Errant V.1, by Jennifer Doyle, Sparkler Magazine/Chromatic Press
- Something Terrible by Dean Trippe, Iron Circus Comics
- Undercities: a short story anthology, Dirty Birds Press
- Love Me Nice V.1, by Amanda Lafrenais
- Eth's Skin, by Sfé R. Monster
- Sorcery 101 Omnibus Volumes 1 & 2, by Kel McDonald
"I could not have asked for a better consultant when I was assembling the first printed collection of my work. Rhiannon's promptness, politeness and expertise will put any publishing artist or team at ease, and the unmatched quality of the books I received has made Rhiannon an absolute must-have for all my future projects." - Blue Delliquanti, creator of O Human Star.
"I have always struggled to get the colors right in prepress. Rhiannon was invaluable when it came to helping with color and picking which paper would make my book shine. The book is fantastic and it's all thanks to her." - Kel McDonald, creator of Sorcery 101 and Misfits of Avalon.